Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Day 1 Arrival Letter - Mexico City MTC (CCM) - January 1, 2014

Hola mi familia!

We made it to the CCM (Which is Spanish for MTC) and its really cool!
 
The city is so dirty and wild and then you drive into the gates and its like entering a safe haven; truly protected by the Lord. The plane ride was long, but I think I got a solid 4 hours of sleep in there. I love you guys too.  Driving through Mexico City was a huge reminder to me of how much poverty really is outside of the US and also of how lucky we are. No tourists go to Mexico City. There is garbage everywhere, wrecked cars line the streets, so much graffiti, and I saw a couple people literally wrapped in cardboard sleeping on the side of the roads. I just felt really strongly as I was looking out the window that its a great responsibility we hold; being given so much by our heavenly father, and only being asked to do so little. I want to do anything I can to help people less fortunate than me find happiness. And there is so much work to do.
 
When I was on the plane, I was feeling anxiety that I would be horrible missionary, and unable to focus. But then I read the notes I took on general conference last October, and I came across I think it was Monson's talk on self-discipline. This is not going to be a walk in the park, I'm going to have to work harder than I ever have. But through lots of prayer and self-discipline, I can get to know my Savior even better, and be better able to learn and teach. I hope you guys are having fun today!
 
Happy New Years! I can't believe it's 2014; that makes the countdown really easy for you Mom. I was just asked to play the opening hymn for a meeting with President Pratt tomorrow. So that's exciting! Anyway, hopefully I still remember how to play Called to Serve! It's too bad I couldn't play super scrabble with you guys before I left, because I know I would have beat Dad.
 
There are a great elders and sisters here; my companion, Sister Nethercott actually flew down with us from Salt Lake. When we were at the airport I made an effort to talk to her and befriend her. It's just perfect how we ended up being companions! I guess the gospel's true!
 
I love you guys so much!!!  And I will write again on P-Day which is Thursday for me starting next week. I hope you guys have a great week, do something really fun to make you happy!

Love 
Hermana Powley