Friday, January 10, 2014

Week 1 - Mexico City MTC - January 9, 2014

Familia--
 
Things are great!  My companion is a sweetheart. I love her more and more each day. She plays piano too, so we had a little jam session in a building with a couple pianos; pretty sure the Hermana in charge of music came in and told us to audition to perform at one of the devotionals. We were relieved because we thought we were in trouble. (We were both playing songs we had written... not exactly religious music) So we started playing hymn arrangements form the hymn book and from books we brought. It hit me while I was playing my last son, "How Great the Wisdom and the Love" how music has the power to touch every soul. We have been striving to learn Spanish just as fast we can, and so I've been thinking a lot about getting my point across. And with music, the point is love, and that's what we feel, and anyone across the entire world can understand such love. Like music, the spirit serves the same purpose. I know my Spanish is not very good, but through the spirit, anyone can feel God's love for them. And it truly is a miracle. We all belong to a greater heavenly family, and its starting to hit me how dire my purpose is here on the mission.

So many people don't know that Christ loves them and has prepared a way for them to have eternal happiness. So many of our brothers sisters, don't know what that joy feels like. And I am so blessed to have grown up in a family that has taught me this. We are here literally to make it possible for sons and daughters of God to enter into the gates of heaven with their families, to be blessed for eternity. Now if only I knew how to say that in Spanish. 

So I'm working hard. I'm striving to study the language and stay focused. Its sometimes hard in my district though.. we've become really good friends. Another reason why I love companion: She studies so hard and works harder than anyone I've ever met. Even though its really hard for her to grasp the language, I've seen her improve so much in just a few days. The gift of tongues is real.. and we will keep working and striving to become better messangers for our father in heaven.

Our first "investigator's" name is Armando (Our investigators really are our teachers). And it was really scary at first! We had had one class of Spanish, and then we were thrown into our first lesson with him, and none of the teachers know English very well. Hermana Nethercott and I struggled at first, and we didn't know what to say when we sat down to talk to Armando. And I suddenly felt prompted to talk about eternal families. Armando loves his family, but he struggles with the word of wisdom, the spirit was so strong, and I found a way to say what I needed to say. It was an amazing first experience. We have committed Armando to follow the word of wisdom and to be baptized! As a companionship we strive to think and act as one. After every discussion, we have a pow wow and talk about what went well and what didn't. This is very helpful. We make goals for Armando, and we make goals for ourselves, to be better functioning teachers. We are learning to provide witness to what the other says, and add our testimony. 

I love the CCM (MTC) and I know that it will just keep getting better. Some days are hard; but even though not every day is good, there's good in everyday. We had an amazing relief society lesson on Sunday about becoming converted unto Christ. Hermana Pratt said that if we think we're converted to Christ, and that we know him indefinitely, we're wrong. Conversion is a life long process. Conversion happens when we put others before ourselves, when we love like Christ loves. We must always always strive for that unconditional charity. I am so excited to be serving a mission for our Lord Jesus Christ. And it has already changed my life. I love this gospel and I know that it is the truest thing on this Earth. We should always cleave unto it because it is the greatest gift we have.

Con Amor,

Hermana Powley